Salford to be part of official BBC Proms - MIDAS

Salford to be part of official BBC Proms

15 April, 2009

Proms in the Park in Salford is set to return with a fanfare that will be heard across the country.

Following the success of last year’s event, the BBC Philharmonic will once again take centre stage in Buile Hill Park, but this time the concert will be part of the BBC’s prestigious Last Night of the Proms coverage.

The event, supported by NS&I (National Savings & Investments), on Saturday 12 September is one of five major outdoor shows staged by the BBC around the UK to bring the magic of the Last Night of the Proms celebrations to tens of thousands of music lovers.

Proms in the Park in Salford will be broadcast live on BBC Radio Manchester, and highlights of all five Proms in the Park events will be shown as part of BBC One and BBC Two’s live Last Night of the Proms coverage.

The big announcement was made on Wednesday 8 April at the official BBC Proms launch at the Royal College of Music in London.

Roger Wright, Director of the Proms said: “We are thrilled that Proms in the Park will be in Salford this year. The Buile Hill Park concert will help to reinforce the BBC’s relationship with Salford City Council. Audiences in Salford can look forward to a wonderful night of music, singing and fireworks.

The Proms relationship with Salford is strengthened further by the formation of the Family Orchestra with the BBC Philharmonic who will be performing at the Royal Albert Hall in the free Family Prom on 26 July.”

The Proms in the Park concerts complement the BBC Proms’ Last Night programme at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Each event features its own high profile artists, BBC orchestra and presenters culminating in a live link up to the Royal Albert Hall for the traditional Last Night festivities.

Last year’s concert, which featured Salford-born tenor Russell Watson, celebrated the first anniversary of the partnership between Salford City Council and the BBC Philharmonic and attracted huge crowds.

Said Cllr John Merry, leader of Salford City Council, said:  “We had such positive feedback from last year’s Proms event it gives me great pleasure to confirm not only that it is returning for another year, but that it will also be an official part of the world-renowned BBC Proms programme.

“This is a real coup for Salford. Not only will our residents and people from across the Northwest get to experience a spectacular live event once again, but all eyes will be on our city.

“Salford is becoming synonymous with the BBC and its move to MediaCityUK in 2012 and we are taking every opportunity to build on the excitement and ensure that the people of Salford see real benefit.”

Source: Salford City Council

Link: http://www.salford.gov.uk

Leave a Reply

Contact Us

Contact us online or call
+44 (0) 161 237 4470